Friday, August 27, 2010

Discovery Bay vacation Day 6

When I go on vacation I enjoy staying busy and being active. I'm not one to do much sitting around during the day when their are things to see and do. One of the things I enjoy is bike riding. Their is a freedom in it as the wind rushes past you as you ride. Plus you can see many more things along the way than you can from a car. I golf because Larry enjoys it and we can experience and enjoy it together. Larry bike rides because I enjoy it and we can experience and enjoy it together. Give and take that's what a marriage is. Towards the end of this bike ride though I'm not sure how much Larry was enjoying it. How much longer was a question I answered a few times. I did some research and found that their is a bike riding trail that eventually is going to be 150 miles long. Parts of it are done already and I decided that I wanted to ride on that so we drove to Sequim to park our car and start riding from the Railroad Park bridge. I didn't have any particular distance in mind but I wanted to have a destination. I just didn't know what yet.
This is where we crossed the river and didn't look back.
The section of trail we rode on rarely was on a street road but we did need to cross some streets along the way. We rode by parks, homes, fields, freeways. We rode up some steep hills, down some hills, up and down around bridges. We rode through forest and best of all I figured out what I wanted my destination to be. Larry is riding on the trail in this picture.
Bagley Creek is an example of several places on the trail where on one side was great the other side was torture going and coming. I should have taken a picture of the hills but the bridge was nicer.
Another bridge. See we're still smiling.
This is it! This is the destination I decided I wanted to ride too. The ocean!
Riding my bike along the ocean was a great adventure for me.
Larry didn't think that when we started the bike ride that this was going to be our destination but then again neither did I. We got to the ocean and Port Angeles was only 2 or 3 miles away, we could see it. It was calling to me. So I said let's DO IT! We rode from Sequim to Port Angeles a distance of 17 miles. And the kicker was... our car was in Sequim so we had to ride back. Total of 34 miles and 5 1/2 hours occasionally stopping to take pictures and grab a hamburger in Port Angeles to eat at the stop in the previous picture for fuel for the way back.
The question remains... am I glad I did it? Yep I am! Even though our thighs burned as we peddled ourselves up those hills and the toosh got a bit sore on the seat. It wasn't anything a nice soak in the Jacuzzi wouldn't help.

2 comments:

Teresa Kauer said...

So beautiful! I'm sure it was a lot of fun. That's quite a bike ride, I'm sure it felt great :)

Teresa Kauer said...

The first paragraph of this post reminds me of when we go hiking with Larry and he says there are just like three more bends left. Sometimes when he says that there is actually like 20 bends left!