Sunday, December 23, 2012

September 2012 Odds and Ends - Garden -Animals - Food and Whatever

I thought I would post about some of the home front things happening in September.
The garden takes a lot of my time and work. I have to keep singing a primary song  The Prophet said to plant a garden so that's what we'll do... Keeps me motivated knowing I'm being obedient. We had so much fruit this year. An abundance of strawberries, raspberries, apples, plums, cantaloupe and pears. We have freezer and shelves full of the bounty we've been blessed with. The vegetables could have done better. The butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash did well.
We grew our very first watermelon crop. The three or four that grew to maturity were so good.

It's red and ripe!

This year I was not happy with the way our zucchini and tomato plants grew. We didn't have very many zucchini or yellow squash this year.

We got a big batch of tomato's and I was able to make several batches of freezer spaghetti sauce but they could have done better. We planted a lot of plants is probably the reason. For some reason the plants started dying and the top half or the whole plant died. I need to figure out why so that won't happen next year.

Plums and more plums. Larry and I took them to church and shared a bunch with the ward. We also took some to our children and their families. I froze some and made some plum fruit leather.
Larry and I think that one of the reason our fruit crop did so well this year is because our neighbors have a bunch of bee hives on their property so the bees helped pollinate.

Our goats are like big obnoxious dogs. Very people friendly.


Agnus, what a face.

I would stake the goats out into long grass and weeds for them to eat it down. The silly chickens had been laying eggs outside their coop. Ugh!

Blackberry bushes.

Bambi right outside our back door.

How in the world did this get in the house? A praying mantis.



Ending this post on a sweet note. Crepes, home made crepes. One of my favorite desserts.
Strawberry, banana and/or hazelnut and topped with caramel and whip cream. Yum!














No comments: