Thursday, December 1, 2011

Apple Cider in the making. November 2011

The tradition continues. Last year Larry and I started a tradition of inviting the missionaries up to help press the apple cider if our family isn't able to come. This year we only had 1/2 the apples we normally get so we got 1/2 the cider but it only took 1/2 the time.

We had one tree left to pick so we sent a couple of the Elders along with Jovie to pick it.
The apples have to be put in the green buckets so they can be washed before we press them.

Where do I put this apple? Ainsley asked.

Here we go!

Gathering the apples, cleaning, pressing and putting them in jugs. What a process.





Thanks Elders!


Time to clean up. Larry looked like a turtle to me.

The finished apple cider after I pasteurized it. Which is siphoning off the juice without any sediment and heating it up to 185 degrees, right before boiling. Feels good to have it done. At $6.00 a gallon which is the cost in a store we saved $240.00 by picking our own apples and pressing them.

I also made applesauce, apple butter and dried some apples.

A strawberry I picked in November. The last one of the season. I wonder who ate it?

Larry was in the mood for some donuts so
I made cinabon cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate one day. That's love.


It's a relief when the growing season is finished and I have the garden and flowerbeds all cleaned up. I can start concentrating on getting ready for Christmathanks. With the growing season being later this year I feel like I'm in a time crunch. I just hope all the family will like what Larry and I wind up getting them for their presents. Well that's another blog post. Stay tuned...



No comments: