Friday, January 28, 2011

Aloha from Maui Day 2 - Lahaina

On the 2nd day we headed to Lahaina so Larry and I could listen to a time share presentation so we could get all of our activities at a huge discount. We decided to go ahead and spend the day in Lahaina. We browsed the shops and then wouldn't you know another meal time! We went to a restaurant called Cool Cats which had some amazing hamburgers.
One of the things I loved about Hawaii is listening to all the bird sounds wherever you were. Here is a picture of one of my feathered friends while we were eating at Cool Cats.
We came upon an amazing tree with a root system that was different than anything I had seen before.
Larry and I are standing in the main trunk of the tree.
This next picture we are enclosed in a tree root jail.
Now you get to see all of the tree that I could get into the picture. This is a Banyon tree and believe it or not  it is 1 tree. Roots grow down from the branches of the tree and root. This is the oldest Banyon tree either on the Islands or in the nation. I can't remember exactly.
Larry grew hair in Hawaii!
Michael liked his dad's hair so he wanted to style it the same.
The week before we got to Hawaii their were floods and quite a bit of the Island shut down. This is the only flood we saw while we were there. A fire hydrant exploded or something.
We finished off our day in Lahaina with a Hawaiian show called Ulalena. It is a production that represented the history of Hawaii. It was an amazing show. We weren't allowed to take pictures so I had to sneak a few without my flash.
"The Mythical Forest"
"Shadows"
These musicians played every sound in the production from wind, rain, water. They were as fun to watch as the show.
The Cast

Another day of vacation is coming to an end. And I'd have say it was a good one.


No comments: