Saturday, January 29, 2011

Aloha from Maui Day 6- Helicopter ride and golf

I did something today I thought I'd never do. I rode in a helicopter! After our drive on the road to Hana. Larry decided that the best way to see the Island was by helicopter. So Larry booked him and I tickets to fly. We flew the West Maui/Molokai flight with Air Maui who has never had an accident which was important to me by the way. I'm going to share a bunch of pictures I took without a lot of commentary. If you want commentary come on over and you can watch an hour long dvd of our flight, complete with the pilot narrating everything we saw.
Take off.







The North Coast of Molokai are the highest sea cliffs in the world that rise thousands of feet above the Pacific. We were also told that the Island cracked right here and split and then fell into the ocean so the other 1/2 of the island is in the Pacific Ocean.

This piece of land is where the lepers live. Their used to be a lot but now their are about 19. As long as their are lepers this land will be theirs.

I know it's hard to tell but this is a momma whale and her baby. The pilot kept spinning the helicopter so we could all see them and get pictures but I was starting to get motion sick and didn't want to throw up on everyone so I quickly snapped a picture and closed my eyes. He kept turning and then asked if I got the picture. I told him I did cuz after spinning I didn't care if the picture turned out or not.
This is the city of Lahaina from the air.
All done! I didn't get sick and embarrass myself and I actually enjoyed the flight. I'd do it again.
It's common to see chickens running all over the place. This one was on the road as we were leaving the airport.
Good time now to go back to our condo rest awhile and get ready for golfing at Pukalani golf course. It was the cheapest on the Island. We had to rent clubs and I'll tell you up front that I hated the clubs I got. I played awful.
 If you look close you can see the ball in mid flight that Larry hit.
Michael, Emily looking on and Larry.
Yep, I was there too.
Having fun yet?

We only have one more day on the Island. We are thinking at this point to bad we have to go back home already. We could use a couple of more days or 3 or 4 or...

No comments: