Friday, January 28, 2011

Aloha from Maui Day 4- Snorkeling and Luau

You should not go to Hawaii without snorkeling. To swim with colorful fish and turtles is pretty fun in my book. We snorkeled and swam with the fish by  Molokini. It's a sunken crater that is now a marine sanctuary.
You have to take a boat to get there. It's 3 miles off the coast of Maui.
I rented a wet suit so I wouldn't get cold and I could stay in the water longer. Plus we decided to buy the DVD of us snorkeling and I didn't want to wear my swim suit in the DVD.
We snorkeled right inside the u shape of the crater.
On the way to the island and back the whales were giving us a show. Here is a picture of a hump back whale breaching.
After snorkeling with the fish the boat took us to a different spot and we got to snorkel with big sea turtles at Turtle Town. Larry was diving down deep by the caves under the water and a turtle came out of the cave and came nose to nose with Larry. It's a $10,000 fine to touch a turtle but not if the turtle touches you as happened in my case. I was swimming around looking at this one turtle and I kept hearing people say there is one right there but I couldn't see it. All I could tell is that people where getting pretty close to me and hitting me on the back. Too bad the turtles aren't fined for touching humans because come to find out it was a turtle that was trying to get my attention.
Later in the day we went to the Te Au Moana Luau. Good food and good entertainment to finish out the day.
We watched someone split a coconut and then show us the different uses of the coconut.
The roasted pig in the pit is a luau tradition. It was smokey good.
Before dinner the 4 of us took some time to take some pictures in front of the sun setting.
Larry and Linda

Michael and Emily
Time to eat.
Show time.


Michael wanted to see a fire dancer in the luau we chose to go too.




1 comment:

Sharon said...

It looks like a fun and relaxing trip! I forgot how beautiful Hawaii is; makes me want to go back! (or go somewhere! LOL)