Saturday, June 21, 2008

If you build it food will grow (hopefully)

When we first moved out in the country 17 years ago we started planting a garden in the orchard. After a 3 or so years word got out amongst the deer, cows and other critters in the neighborhood that the Johnson's have some pretty good food just for the picking. Our garden was a sorry sight for a couple of years. So I made an executive decision that I was't going to go to all that work and have the animals eat it. Larry and I talked and decided that we would need to put up a high fence that is also buried a bit to keep the critters out. 12+ years later we have our fence. Larry and Michael put in the fence post and dug the trenches and I helped them attach the fence. With the price of gas and the cost of food rising we figured any cost saving thing we can do will help our pocket book. The fence isn't quite done yet but it is functional and I've planted the garden with some help from April.


I thought I might need to explain the inside of the garden because from the first picture it looks like it's full of grass. Larry had this idea to remove sections of the grass and move that grass to our back yard since we still don't have grass out there after the flood. So I loosened the dirt and then used my mantis tiller to get the soil ready to plant. We were going to mow the sections of grass left with a hand push mower. Larry tried to do that today and the wheels kept getting stuck in the dirt. I had the idea of laying black no weed paper down where the grass is so I won't have to keep weed wacking the grass in between the vegetable rows. We'll see how this works out. Hopefully the things we planted we'll grow and we'll be able to share some too. Anybody ever feels like weeding come on over:) On the right is a compost pile I started. I have no idea what I'm doing but we'll learn along the way.

2 comments:

The Mac Attack said...

Looks good mom. Can't waite to get some fresh veggies when we visit. We were to crazy busy this year to put a garden in. Oh well maybe next year.

Sharon said...

It looks good and it's big; it'll keep you busy. I wanted to put in a small garden this year; don't know if that'll happen but if I don't get it in this week, wonder if it'll be too late to do it next week?