Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmathanks 2008

Christmathanks, yes that's what I said. It's Christmas and Thanksgiving combined into one holiday hence the name Christmathanks. This way we can celebrate Christmas as a family and then on the real Christmas the kids can have their own Christmas or spend it with the other parents. That way everyone gets the best of both worlds. We've done it for several years now and it is really starting to feel like Christmas. We fill stockings and the whole chabang. For years on Christmas eve we would have a fondue and then just have pizza or something easy on Christmas. So last year the kids wanted fondue so we did that and not a Thanksgiving meal. This year they actually took a vote on having the Thanksgiving meal or fondue or switch off every other year. The switch off every other year won out. Christmathanks eve though we had a nice meal of steak, and a couple of their favorites from our fondue meal. Stuffed twice baked potatoes and crab cheese fondue with french bread was served. So I was able to make everyone happy with both meals served. Maybe the fondue meal will get updated.
Christmathanks eve after we ate we watched Fred Clause and got the kids to bed. This is where Jessica, Nathan and Aria sacked out, right by the tree. We left them there and just put out presents around them. They know Santa doesn't come until Christmas and the stockings are filled by Papa and Grandma J.



Christmathanks morning started early. Ever since our children could get up themselves we let them open the presents in their stockings to keep them busy for a few more minutes of shut eye for Larry and I. Santa would even add a small box of cereal so they could eat. The tradition continues. Clara got the bear I knitted her in her stocking. I think she liked it.



Gabe was excited to get the big yellow tonka truck. Mae and Jovie loved riding in the big tonka truck too. Except Jovie kept looking the other way.



Don't you love this face Mae makes? I do.



I loved all the gifts I received. I told the kids it's great having them all grown up. Dad and I get some awesome gifts now. :) This gift I received from April and Matt tugs on strings from my childhood. My favorite doll growing up was my Raggedy Andy doll. I also loved reading the Raggedy Ann and Andy books. My doll got burned up in our house fire over 20 years ago and so my mom gave me my little sisters doll which was Raggedy Ann, with no clothes. I should really get her some. I have also wanted an old doll carriage because they just look cool. Well I received both and they are antiques to boot...



I love the look on Aria and Nathan's faces as they anticipate me opening the gift they made me. They are as excited to give me and Papa J this gift as they are to receive gifts.



A cool magnetic board!



Jovie is getting into the opening gift thing. It's good practice for her birthday soon.



Do you remember that box Gabe's truck came in? It was a favorite toy of the little ones and Aunt Shannon was a good engine.


This gift was given to all 5 of our children at the same time. It was a gift that was 10 years in the making. I collected the state quarters for the last 10 years for each of our kids. They were impressed I didn't spend them. Rachel helped me find quarters from each of their birth years to have in the book as well, so they are personalized. I was excited to give the books to them.



This year Aria requested that we have a formal dinner for Thanksgiving so we all dressed up for dinner. It was actually fun to do that. Thus begins themes for each year. The kids all decided next year will be awful Christmas sweater theme. Here we are at dinner. I'm taking the picture and Mae is back behind her mom so you can't see us. Michael is in Utah at the MTC and has been greatly missed.



Our grandchildren. I love moments like this. I love my family. Yep, I sure do.


3 comments:

Misty said...

It was really fun! I have a hilarious picture of you 2 with the grandkids and Jovie is pulling Aria's hair and Aria is screaming. :)

moxie mama said...

i want to see:)

The Mac Attack said...

It was such a fun day! I loved dressing up. And I think Im going to start looking for an ungly sweater this year.