Sunday, July 20, 2008

A new calling

Larry received a new calling today that changes our life and the way we know it for awhile. He was called into the Young Adult branch as the 1st counselor. He was called, sustained and set apart within 2 hours. Gary McCracken is the president. Larry is the 1st counselor and David Been is the 2nd counselor.
We will now attend church with the young single adults from the Walla Walla, Dayton and Milton Freewater area. We will go to there activities and Family Home Evening with them on Monday nights. Before Michael graduated from High School we told him how neat it would be for him to go to church with the branch and have some independence from Larry and I before his mission. Poor kid, I guess he still gets to go to church with us. I did tell him though that he can sit with his friends and be as independent from us as if we weren't there. I didn't want him to think that I expected him to still sit with me. Communication is a good thing.
One of the first things The Branch President asked us is if any of us knew anything about music and could play the piano. I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. But until a young adult comes to the branch that can play the piano guess who gets to play? I really haven't played with people singing to what I play. I told Larry a month or so ago that I have a feeling I should learn how to play the hymns from the hymnbook. I guess I get too. Prayer and practice = piano playing???
Oh yeah I almost forgot. Larry is still teaching seminary 3 classes a day during the school year and I am still helping with that. He was relieved. He knows someday that he will be asked to stop and they will have a new teacher but for now Larry gets to do it. He loves teaching the youth the gospel.
How can we get older when we get to spend time with the young people of the church?

5 comments:

moxie mama said...

you guys will be so great!

Sharon said...

I heard the news; congrats! We will miss you in the Ward but you will do great in the Branch! And you'll do great on the piano, especially when you're doing it regularly!

Jon and Maryanne said...

Wow! I second what April said: YOu guys will do GREAT! Where does the singles branch meet?

The Buck's said...

Being around all the young kids is what is going to keep you "hip" grandparents! What a great opportunity for you both! Congrats!

Sandi said...

I am excited for you both in your new calling. And who wants to get old anyway. I love to spend time with the youth, they are the best! Best wishes on playing the piano, I know you will do GREAT!