Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ooooops! Lesson learned.

This is the lesson I learned and would like to pass on to everyone else.
It's not a good idea to mow a dry field when it is hot and your mower gets hot and the dried grass collects on the mower. This is what happens...






The thing is is that I have mowed like I did yesterday lots of times before but our mower "was" getting older, leaking and just having problems. I had been mowing for just over three hours and was in the dry field and started smelling something like a campfire. I didn't see any smoke any where so I just kept mowing. My right foot that was pressing on the pedals was getting hot through my shoe and I was thinking I probably should stop the mower for awhile and let it rest and cool off. Then I thought I should probably stop the mower and get all this extra grass off but noooooo I just ignored those thoughts (promptings) and kept on mowing. It was sounding like if I stopped the mower it wouldn't start again cuz it kept sputtering because of all the dust I thought. I wanted to finish the mowing. Finally I thought I should should look down because I sure still smell that campfire and sure enough underneath the mower was on fire. I jumped off and ran to the house and opened the door. Michael and Matt were playing the Wii rock band game and I shouted in the door MICHAEL GET DAD THE LAWN MOWER IS ON FIRE! I started getting the hose and looked back in the house and Michael hadn't moved so I shouted in again and then it clicked and he jumped up. This is what he heard the first time. Mummble mummble mummble! Matt asked him what did your mom say? Michael just shook his shoulders. BROTHER BOYS!!! Dad, Michael and Matt all came out to put the fire out which by that time was getting bigger. I'm grateful that the lawn mower didn't explode with me sitting on it. It took the fire extinguisher and two or three buckets of water to put the fire out.
This is the crazy part (as if the other part wasn't crazy) as they were putting the fire out I thought I should blog this so I had Michael run in to get my camera.
I guess I'm an official blogger nut.

3 comments:

Misty said...

oh man! I'm so glad you're okay!

and lol about wanting to blog it.

Sharon said...

Glad everything is fine; guess you get to get a nice, new lawn mower now, huh?*S* Yes, Val was Betsy's friend first and it's been a little harder keeping in touch with her since Betsy moved; sad, huh? I have not forgotten your birthday is on Tuesday! When is a good time for you to do birthday lunch? Of course it won't be as ELABORATE as Victoria's but that was just a fluke that it was on the Leavenworth trip; or was it?*S* We may have to go to lunch after Madeline leaves; when is that?*S* By the way, Victoria e-mails now! And this comment is wayyy too long!LOL

The Buck's said...

Blogging is an addiction! I am so glad that you are okay. Guess you can't count on Matt and Michael to jump up and save you (lol!).