Sunday, August 2, 2009

Garden update #3

The garden is growing so fast and changing I thought I'd blog an update on it. The lettuce is all picked out of the garden and it is lasting a long time in the fridge. We'll have it at dinner again tomorrow.
This if I do say so myself is a beautiful head of cabbage. I've never grown cabbage before so this is exciting for me to have them grow so well. I have 3 in the fridge, another is ready to pick and 8 more still developing.
Green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage.
Another view of the garden.
Zucchini squash, acorn squash, butternut squash and early summer crookneck squash. It's a good thing we like squash.
Cucumbers, green onions, beets and strawberries.
The pumpkins again and then the asparagus in the back along the fence.
The corn corner. Plus our pumpkin vines. I'm hoping that enough pumpkins will be ready in October so the grand kids can have one each.
This is a row of our zucchini and cucumbers. I have to admit though that I pulled out 4 of the zucchini plants. I had never thinned them and I was getting way to much zucchini. I felt really guilty like I was wasting.
Basil. I love cooking with fresh basil. I had bought 2 plants earlier and planted them but I accidentally roto tilled one under and the other died. Joshua and Shannon went to the farmer's market and I asked them to get me one plant. They brought 5. We'll be making lots of pesto and/or freezing the basil.
Green peppers, jalapeno peppers, long chili peppers galore. Good thing they freeze well.
Tomato plants. we've gotten a few ripe ones off. Several of the small yellow ones. I love the taste of garden fresh tomatoes.
One days harvest. Some day I'll get lots of green beans, other days zucchini, strawberries are coming on thick again now too. Yum!

No comments: