Thursday, October 30, 2008

It is finished, almost...

Apples, apples and more apples...

I have just one more batch of apples to put into the food drier which I'm saving for Monday. The last three days almost all of my waking hours have been spent on preserving apples. Monday I racked off 54 gallons of cider and pasteurized them so in the end I got 49 finished gallons. Tuesday I made several batches of apple pie filling to put into the freezer and made 7 pints of apple butter. Wednesday I made 28 quarts of applesauce. Also on Tuesday and Wednesday I put a load of sliced apples into my food drier. Besides the apples left for the food drier I only have a crisper full of apples to eat and make into deserts or whatever. Which by the way I made a killer "Apple cake" from Krista's Blog Taste of Blue Sky while I was making applesauce.


I am thankful for the produce we were able to grow this year and enjoy through the summer and will be able to through the winter. Well garden, wild blackberry bushes and fruit trees sleep well this winter till we meet again in the spring. I know I sure will enjoy the rest.

4 comments:

The Mac Attack said...

Im so excited to eat all the goodies!

moxie mama said...

the apple cake really is delicious! and bonus it's dairy free...i just might make it for jovie's birthday.

Devyn said...

i wish i lived close so i could help you eat all those yummy apple things!!! i am very jealous!!

The Mac Attack said...

Time for a new post Mom.