Saturday, October 25, 2008

Apple Cider Pressing Day

We have about 25 fruit trees. 18 I think are apple trees, several different varieties. This last week Larry, Michael and a Young Adult from the branch, Jake picked the apples. Today we pressed most of them into apple cider. I kept out about
4 boxes for applesauce, apple butter and apple pie filling and then another box to eat. Misty wanted a box so we gave her a box too. We had a good season this year and the trees had some nice apples on them.
Here is what we started with. Grandpa and Grandma Johnson gleaned some apples from a farm so they could also make apple cider. The apples from our home are in the black thing. The other apples are what they brought.



Michael hard at work turning the crank, Grandpa is putting the apples in the hopper, Larry is twisting the press down into the pressed apples.






My job was to pour the cider into the gallon jugs. I think I had the hardest job. JK.



Had to get Grandpa's smile in here. He loves the cider. It's hard work though and everyone was working hard and in a good system and we got in done in about 4 1/2 hours. Thanks for all the help!!! April and Matt thanks for bringing the pizza home for us to eat when we were done:)



Joseph is now turning the press. He is also from the YA branch and Michael called him to see if he wanted to come up and help. He was a big help.

My job on Monday is to siphon the cider out so I don't get the sediment on the bottom and then pasteurize it and put it back into the rinsed out jug to cool and bit and then freeze. Grandma does her own though. She took 36 jugs and we have 54 so that is 90 jugs of cider we made today. It feels good to accomplish something like that even though it takes time and work. Now to make the applesauce... Next week.



This is an add to to a previous blog and the girl's bears I made them. I decided to make me one too so I would have one here if I ever wanted to make one again I would have something to look at. When I put them all together it reminded me of Neapolitan ice-cream. Strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. I had to take a picture and add it to the blog since this is like a journal to me. Aren't they cute?


5 comments:

Misty said...

I want to bring the kids to make cider! Maybe next year. :) The bears are super cute!

Misty said...

I figured out the picture problem, call me and I'll tell you how to fix it.

Sandi said...

Wow, that is an amazing amount of apples! I would loved to have come and helped if I lived closer, I love homemade applesauce, especially the chunky kind. I hope you have fun and it is rewarding to accomplish that much in a day. You have an amazing family.

moxie mama said...

i love apple cider!

The Mac Attack said...

YIPPIE for cider! Cant wait to have some this weekend. One day were gonna mosey on down and help.