Thursday, September 30, 2010

Linda, Linda quite contrary how does your garden grow?

Quite well, thank you! Between the pear trees, plum tree, apple trees and veggies in the garden I am one busy girl this time of year. This angle of the garden is the strawberries which I have picked well over 150 pounds. The middle left of the picture is the butternut squash which is not ripe yet and the acorn squash which I'm leaving on as long as I can before heavy frost to make sure it's ripe. To the right of those two plants are the zucchini plant and the yellow squash plant. We are getting veggies from each but those two plants struggled this year. I had wilting leaves to where half the zucchini plant died but the other half is doing ok. We are getting plenty for Larry and I to eat and to share so that's good. The far right middle are the tomato plants which just this last week started to ripen. I've been able to pick a few but will they ripen before heavy frost? Good question. The back right is our corn which did terrible this year. We got 4 corn cobs from the stalks that grew. Disappointing! Most of the cobs look really funny. Huge deformed puffy black stuff filled kernels. Then our raspberries which Larry pruned up ready for winter rest.
Compost piles on the left which a mole lives in I believe. Moles and slugs are my garden enemies!
The pumpkin vines are growing well. Right behind the pumpkin vines on the left is my mutant yellow squash plant. The plant that started in the compost pile is HUGE and produces pale green crookneck squash.
Peek a boo pumpkins. I'm literally praying they will ripen before it frost so I can share them with my grand kids.
Blueberry plants along the left. I love blueberries so I'm excited to have these grow well. To the right is the huge pumpkins which when yesterday I went out to the garden I noticed the smaller of the two is rotting. Bummer!
A closer view of the mutant yellow squash plant.
Tomato plants that I neglected to stake until it was too late to do it right. I will not make that mistake next year.
Marigolds that when planted in the garden are suppose to keep some kind of pest away. Which pest I do not remember. To the right of that are chives, lots of chives. Behind that row I have planted basil. I am using the basil in a wonderful Fresh spaghetti sauce recipe that I freeze. I love the smell of basil. To the right of the chives are green pepper plants and a Serrano chili pepper plant. I didn't know how hot the Serrano pepper is so Joshua was my guinea pig. And the verdict is.... very hot. Joshua was sweating after taking a bite and he didn't even chew it.
Closer look of the green pepper plants and Serrano pepper plant. Very pretty. I found out last year that Larry doesn't like green peppers. No matter how long you're married you are still discovering things about your spouse.
Rhubarb, lots of rhubarb. I got this rhubarb from Misty's house. It started as one plant planted by the side of the pool. I transplanted it this year to the garden and separated the plant. We now have no shortage of rhubarb.
That's it. That's my garden this year. I have used the bounty in various ways and have shared quite a bit too.
Note to self... Plant sooner next year to guarantee everything a chance to ripen.
And enjoy the down time during the winter.

No comments: